Anyone who's attended a live dance or theatrical performance, or even a commencement ceremony lately has no doubt noticed that people treat such events as if they were at an athletic contest--talking out loud, shouting, eating, arriving late, using their phones, wandering in and out during the show. Not only are such behaviors distracting for other patrons, they are insulting to the performers.
- Arrive and be seated by ten minutes before curtain time. If you arrive late, wait until a logical break in the performance to enter the auditorium.
- Turn off your cell phone, no texting.
- Don't take anything to eat or drink to your seats, including bottled water.
- Don't open candies or anything else with rattly paper during the show.
- Don't talk or whisper to your seatmates during the performance.
- Refrain from extraneous applause-it disrupts the flow of the performance.